Saturday, February 18, 2012

Powder coating - Part 1

I've been going back and forth on what to do with different painted parts on the Bul.  Paint (as in rattle can) or powder coat?  Painting is cheap.  Powder coating is durable.  Paint I can do.  Powder coating has to be sent out.

The latest debate centered around the spring covers on my fork tubes.  They are basic black.  I could paint them with gloss black krylon (which - honestly, a lot of parts are going to end up), or - powder coat.  But who could do the powder coating?

About a year ago - I had some wheel locks for my Porsche project powder coated by another Porsche enthusiast in North Carolina.  He posts to a porsche bulletin board that I frequent.  We agreed on a price, and I sent the wheel locks.  After getting them, he said:

You know - this is the price I charge for all 20 lug nuts.  You only sent me 4.  If you want to send me the rest - I'll do them for free.

Well - I had already bought all new lug nuts on e-bay, so I didn't need it.  Opportunity lost?

Nope.  I sent him a note to see if he would remember me.  He actually didn't, but his wife remembered the conversation.  And wouldn't you know - he powder coated the spring tops (black) for nothing.

Nice.  They are back in the mail.  I hope to have them next week.  Very excited.

 Thanks again Barry.

No comments:

Post a Comment