Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chains

Well - I read how to understand the code of motorcycle chains tonight.  They are sized by the number of rollers on them.  So - to figure out what you have, you can:

Count the number of rollers on the chain

Count the number of pins on the side plates

Count the number of side plates and multiply by 2.

So - the Bultaco has a 124 link chain (62 side plates, 124 rollers).

Now - I had planned to re-use the chain, so I was just doing this for tonight's "one thing".  And then I found a split side plate while counting.  That's not good.

I thought about going with a basic chain while I searched for a new one.  But - I've heard the o-ring ones are so much better.   So - thanks to amazon.com, a 124 link o-ring chain is headed my way (with free shipping no less!!!).

It's too bad I can't re-use the old one.  I did a lot of work cleaning that one up...

No comments:

Post a Comment