Friday, March 9, 2012

Still Waiting for parts to come back

Not much progress on the Bultaco lately.  It seems like I'm waiting for a lot of parts to come back before I can start re-assembly.  But - here's a status update anyway.

The triple tree and kickstand came back from Barry in North Carolina.   The powder coating came out great.

I cheated and took the frame, triple tree spacers and headlight bucket down the street to Atlas.  For $50, Don drilled holes and tapped them where the rear pegs were (this is where the reflectors are going), and drilled out the spacers and headlight bucket to accept the turn signals.  Pretty cool stuff, and way easier than  I could have done it.  I told Don that I was still struggling with bushings in the swing arm - he said "Bring it to me - I'll get it".  I might.  Let me try the slide hammer/bushing puller I just bought first.  Don's only words of wisdom "Don't mess it up and make it harder for me".  Great - my reputation now proceeds me.

I got a call today from Atlas Chrome Plating.  All of my chrome bits are done.  I'll head up there tomorrow and pick it all up.  While I'm there, I'm going to drop off the headlight bracket/spacers for the triple tree for polishing.

The biggest news - the brakes came back today from Matt at Speed and Sport.  I can't adequately describe how well these came out, so I'll just post a picture.



Wow, huh.  Since I have my hubs back, I'm going to start lacing wheels this weekend.  Matt is great to deal with, and does great work.  www.speedandsport.com

Finally - I was surfing e-bay for Bultaco parts, and came across this Mercurio for sale.  I think it's a great looking bike.  Sold in 1 day for $2600.  I contacted the owner (Doug) and we've e-mailed back and forth.  Doug got the bike mostly like it is - did a light restoration and has now sold it. 


There are two things non-stock about this bike.  The first is the 40 spoke Honda front brake.  Wow, that's a big brake.  Second is - the Bultaco Kit America exhaust.  THAT is cool.  In e-mails with Doug, he offered that I should contact Mobley's Bultaco in Nevada to see if they had one.

So - I e-mailed and they said that I should call Lynn, and he might be able to fix me up.

I called Lynn on Wednesday at lunch.  Apparently, years ago, a guy in Houston had an actual Kit America exhaust from Bultaco.  He shipped it to Lynn in Nevada, and Lynn had about 8 copies made - downpipe, exhaust, mounting bracket, silencer.  This was years and years ago (Lynn might have told me, but I've forgotten).  Now - he has one left.

I was almost afraid to ask how much.  I found a Kit America exhaust on e-bay that is in Spain for $545 (without shipping).  But I asked.

The answer:  "$245".

Done.  Lynn was laughing - "It started in Houston, and the last one is going back there".

Serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment