Friday, February 15, 2013

Good News / Bad News

I've been talking to the body shop this week, and all week long they've been telling me that my parts will be done by Friday.

Since I was going to be out and about today (my day off), I called them to see if I could swing by and pick up my stuff.

They said "We'll call you back in 15 minutes".

3 hours later - "Um, the guy that quoted you the cost was way wrong.  We needed to strip everything down to bare metal, and there was some obvious body damage that we will need to take care of.".

I told them I would come over and take a look.

We looked at the dent on the gas tank, and a dent that I never knew about on the rear fender.  Plus - a dent on the taillight/license plate holder.

Yikes.  Good thing we took it down to bare metal.

Wait, there's more:

"We don't want to use regular car primer on this one.  We want to use a self etching aircraft primer.   It's better for the restoration".

OK.

"Oh, and did you want the underside of the fenders done?  They are pretty rusty.".

Yes.  This is a full restoration.

"Wow - that's like double work".

OK - so what?

"Well, it's going to be more than the $700 we quoted you".

OK - how much.

"Why don't we say $1100?".

Deal.

So, it'll be another week, but at least it will be something I'm happy with.

I took them some pictures of the original paint scheme.  Hopefully that keeps them from screwing up the repaint.

Probably not.

At least it's close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment